It’s officially summer here in Anchorage. School has been out for a few weeks. There is some level of sunlight almost 24 hours a day. Chris and I have stepped up our grilling to several times a week (as opposed to grilling only once a week in the middle of winter). Now that it is consistently in the 60s I’m sporting shorts…and blinding the neighbors with my pasty white Alaska tan. It must be time for an update.
This school year was tough. We had a new principal, and he turned out to be the meanest, most hateful person I have ever met. He didn’t mess with me too much, but he really picked on some teachers. I’ve become much more familiar with the union contract. I tried to transfer to another school in Anchorage. Unfortunately this year was a record year for displaced teachers. I had several interviews, but so far no job/transfer offer. Something could open up later in the summer, but I’m not so optimistic. I hate to think about teaching with that horrible, horrible man for another year.
*Deep breath…no more talk about school until August.*
I am spending the summer in AK. I wanted to go to VA but was appalled by the airfares. Chris and I have a few small trips planned...the usual weekend hiking, camping, fishing trips. The day after tomorrow I'm going clam digging with some friends. I've never been. It should be fun.
I am heading to the Aleutian Islands next week. I'm planning to take the 3+day ferry ride from Homer to Dutch Harbor/Unalaska, then fly back to Anchorage. I wish it were possible to stop in various places along the Aleutian Islands. Unfortunately, that would mean staying in each village for 2 weeks until the next ferry came along. That time frame exceeds my touristic interest in Aleutiq life. The only question is whether or not I should spend one or two nights in Dutch Harbor. The DH Chamber of Commerce's list of things to do in DH includes things like "bake a fresh blueberry pie" and "catch and smoke a salmon." Not promising. Actually, there are a number of interesting sounding boat excursions; but after nearly 4 days on the ferry, I doubt that I will be ready to shell out big bucks to get back on a boat.
Once I get back to Anchorage, Chris and I will be moving into a new apt. This will be the first move in a decade where I have to pack or move anything myself. In fact, I had originally thought I would take my Aleutian trip in 2 weeks, but then realized that would mean Chris would have to pack up and move all my things for me (I didn't have a problem, but he did...go figure).
Our new place is super-cute. There is a big back yard, room for Chris’ man cave, and a guest bedroom for (hint hint) all my friends that want to tour Alaska. I can’t wait to have a yard again. I’m sad that by the time we move it will be too late to start a veggie garden and grow tomatoes. However I’m hoping to adopt some species of “gay little dog” and name him/her Jackie Chan or Hot Sake. Does anyone have info about “purse training” a dog?
Hope everyone is doing well. Please send a note when you can.
No comments:
Post a Comment