I’ve been in Alaska for nearly three months, and just about every day I think to myself, “Lee Ann…you ain’t in Dhaka anymore.” In some ways, Alaska is way more perplexing.
The two questions people from the lower 48 ask me most are about how cold it is and how much daylight there is. Right now the sun rises around 9am and sets around 6:30pm. We will continue to lose about 6 min of daylight each day until Dec 21. On that day we will have about 4 ½ hours of sunlight. Then we will gain about 6 min of daylight each day. Happily, my classroom has a southern exposure and huge windows, so I’ll get to enjoy all the light and heat that the sun has to offer for those few hours.
As for the cold, I’ve heard that this has been an extremely mild fall. The first snowfall in the mountains around Anchorage is called “termination dust” because it signals the termination of summer. For a couple of weeks I watched the termination dust move down the mountain and towards the city with a bit of trepidation in my heart. Then it got warm enough to melt it all. For the past month it’s been somewhere between the upper-30s to low-50s. I reckon I’ve been getting acclimatized a bit…mid-50s seems positively balmy to me (I can hear you laughing all the way from Africa, Sabine).
I’ve been busy shopping and getting ready for winter: snow tires, sweaters, fleeces, long underwear, a parka (ski bunny style…I’ve been trying to find the balance between cute and warm), and of course a big ole home theater. I do love shopping, but these things I’ve been buying are totally out of my league. I can tell the Alaskans think my questions are super-dumb. “What are siped tires? What are studded tires?” “They keep you from sliding off the road when it snows.”
School has been one frustration after another…go figure…public school. Mostly I hate being required to use a basal to teach reading. I feel like I’m back in the 50s. It’s also been interesting teaching military kids. It’s a very different sub-culture from what I’m used to. I can’t quite put my finger on what is different. I’m not sure if it’s military or the fact that it’s a school on base. Any army brats out there have any insights?
I have met an awesome guy. His name is Chris. We have tons of fun together. He makes me laugh. He is such a kind soul. It’s been really great. Next weekend we are heading to a ski lodge in Girdwood for massages and other decadence. The only downside is he thinks Carharts (flannel lined work pants) are fashionable. I really hope that I’m never in Alaska long enough to think that anything flannel-lined is fashionable.
More news and photo links later.
4 comments:
great to hear from you, lee ann, and know that you are enjoying your transition! keep on enjoying it!!!
things here are fine--ed and i just got back from langkawi last week, and totally enjoyed the biking, golfing, eating, drinking, and more. we are excited to be in that area again at christmas time when we take sailing lessons. fun!
take care and keep smiling--kel
Keep us posted .. the penguins in the closet may want to come visit. Even though I know they come from the south
I'm still perplexed by what you said about flannel-lined clothing being unfashionable...Have fun with all that decadence! Kate
Kate, you live in Ohio...fashion is not part of your world. :) I reckon I use the Syrian women as a gauge. I can't picture a Syrian woman traipsing along in the snow with flannel-lined jeans, with or without 4 inch heels and big hair. Ergo...flannel is not fashionable.
Matt, the southern penguins can visit any time!.
Post a Comment