Thursday, July 30, 2009

Mile Zero

I officially left the “Lower 48” two days ago. Going through customs into Canada was a bit more of an ordeal than I had anticipated. Too many cars, too many questions. But somehow the Canadians deemed me fit enough to cross onto their side of the border with a scowl and a suggestion to drive safe. I suspect that this customs lady was an American in disguise…surely a Canadian would never scowl…right Leon and Graham?


Anyway, things I have enjoyed since getting to Beautiful British Columbia: amazing mountain roads with a new, gorgeous vista at every turn; breathing super-clean air; going along at my own pace with just a loose schedule; really friendly people that give me coffee, directions, or just a smile.


Things that I have not enjoyed since getting to Beautiful BC: deer and caribou jumping in front of my car (although I do like that my brakes work really, really well!); grumpy, speedy drivers that ride my ass until there is a passing lane or turn out; slow drivers that only speed up when I have a chance to pass them; construction, construction, construction!


Tonight I am in Dawson Creek…a horrible town whose only redeeming attribute is it is “Mile Zero” of the Alaska Highway. So, I had my picture taken next to the Mile Zero marker…which is actually about a mile away from the actual start of where highway 97 turns towards AK. I suppose it doesn’t really matter what is sheer tourism and what is a true mile marker. The highway is a fair bit shorter than it was when it was built in 1942, due to reconstruction. Businesses still use the historical mile marker, even if it is way off from the actual distance from Dawson Creek.

 

Tomorrow I head for Liard Hot Springs. I need a relaxing soak!

No comments: