Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Hinges, safety pins, and killer plants

I think I may be addicted to my blog, for the time being anyway.  It's a new way to fill up the time when insomnia sets in.  

I do have to share my latest Jungle Book adventure.  I needed to make rocks that could be easily lifted and maneuvered so that ants on the bottom of the rocks could be quickly shown during a song.  Big blocks of styrofoam that could be carved would have been perfect...but those don't exist in Dhaka.  So I decided on flat plywood rocks, with a flat plywood bottom attached at 90 degrees. Then I designed a hinged support system which would allow the rocks to stay in place while easily rotating/flipping so the ants could be shown in the middle of this one song.  I have drawn pictures, used words, even made a mini-model to try to convey this to the school carpenters.  We've gone in circles about this all week.  They've built me 6 different hinged rock configurations.  None of them have anything to do with what I've pictured in my mind, drawn, explained, or made a model of.  Each new construction has required that I go to the carpenter's shop at least twice, but up to 4 times.  On my 4 millionth visit, as I looked at a rock table with hinges, I decided that if anyone is going to see these freakin' ants, the kids are simply going to have to pick up the rock and show it to them.  (Sorry, Matt)  

In any case, today after school my "Welcome to the Jungle" kids painted the rocks, we stuck on shiny red ants.  One project down, only 54,000 to go.  

The next big project is pinning flowers and leaves to the backdrop and side curtains.  That should be fun.  I've got 2 bearers (custodians) to help me on Friday morning.  This morning's half hour discussion on what kind of pins to use does not bode well--and I had a giant safety pins to refer to.  I know these guys just want to make the crazy teacher happy, but I don't need to discuss safety pins for 30 min, even when I'm really bored.  When I'm really busy and stressed it makes me want to jump out a window (on the first floor--I'm not suicidal...yet...there is still a week to go though).

So that's my kid play project.

My adult play project is just starting.  I'm going to be the plant puppeteer for Little Shop of Horrors.  We won't have the actual puppets for about another month.  So rehearsal is a bit boring for me right now.  For one thing, the plant isn't in very many scenes.  Also, I chose to be the plant because I don't want people to really see me.  I'll get to hide inside the puppet.  So I'm not comfortable trying to lip sync and dance like the plant will have to do without the actual puppet.  

There are 4 different plant puppets, each getting progressively bigger. I think I only need to work the last 2 puppets.  But I'm getting worried about that.  For one thing, there is a safety belt involved with one of the puppets.  If the stage directions say "buckle yourself in" that's not a good sign.  Then there are directions like "point to your mouth with your feet."  Maybe I should start taking yoga lessons.  I'm not sure how I'm going to flail my legs (roots/stems/leaves), while lip syncing with my arms (the mouth), and just generally rocking out all at the same time.  

Oh my...how did the least coordinated girl on the planet get to be the plant puppeteer for a rockin' killer plant from outer space?  Only in Dhaka!



No comments: